[SOLVED] is it possible do handle emails seperate from your domain host ?

nevesgodnroc

I'm not sure if this is specifically a phph quetion or not but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

I was wondering is it possible to have your domain hosted with one provider and handle the emails that are addressed to that domain with another server.

For example My current hosting company lets me host subdomains under my main domain. but doesnt support email addresses for those subdomains. and also does not support using email aliases for them either. So I was wondering if I could handle the email traffic my self.

Sorry i used the wrong word I don't mean subdomain i mean add on domain.  where domains root folder contains both my index.php file as well as add on domain directories.

myrootdir

index.php

/addondomain  root folder for addondomain.com

index.php (foraddondomain)

I know that I can send mail out from any mail server and using email headers specify where it looks like it came from ie. reply to address

But can I have another mailserver recieve emails directed at addondomain.

The MX record in your DNS zone records points to your receiving mail server. Just change it to point to the mail server you want to use for receiving email.

When a sending mail server has an email to send, it takes the domain from the From: address and gets the MX record for that domain. It then uses the IP address from the MX record to establish a connection with the receiving mail server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.