helo guys can someone help me!

kankaro

I supposed to make a web based inventory system, i have a table name products and other table name brand. wat i want is its just a one query in the brand table, when i update or delete some data in the brand table the data in the product table will be deleted also based on the foriegn key in the product table.

Foreign keys -- sure no problem.  If you design it right, then updates to a brand would have no effect, because your normalized design would also use numeric keys to link product and brand together.  In that way, changing for example, the name of a brand would not effect any products that were related to that brand, because the "brandname" column is in the brand table.

Now, when you state that in deleting a brand you want to delete all related products, that is known as a cascading delete.  Depending on the database, that can be set up automatically, or may require a trigger.  In MySQL you can set up a cascading delete, assuming a few things, one of which was mentioned by priti:

Assuming you're using MySQL:

-You need to be using MySQL 5

-You need to have created your tables using the Innodb engine.

-Your table declaration needs to include the ON DELETE CASCADE clause which would have been something like this in your definition of the product table:

FOREIGN KEY (brand_id) REFERENCES brand(brand_id)

ON DELETE CASCADE

If you set this up properly, deleting a brand will delete all products of that brand.  While cascading deletes are convenient for some things, they also represent a significant danger as a user could unknowingly wipe a lot of rows out of a database with one careless delete.  Often you want to control this programatically.  Caveat Emptor.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.