Domain Name Help

Dysan

domain names have a central registration server that is the "acceptable" registration server.  You can't steal outta this pool until a domain name is not paid for the next year for say that name can become open for purchase. 

The original owner always has the first option to reregister the name before their lease of it dies

Use the whois function on networksolutions.com.  It may be different for UK domains, but it should tell you where to go to look up the owner.  There will be a contact phone and email for the Owner of the domain.

But if the store chain Target owns it, good luck on getting it.

Basically I want try and register www.target.co.uk but it is currently in use. How do I found out information on how to buy it from the current owner? How do I know he owns it? When you register a name, do you actually own it, or are you just renting it? How do you buy a name and keep it forever?

Well goto http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?isc=superbowl&app%5Fhdr= amd use the Whois page to find out more info on the actual owner of the domain.

From there if the email is valid and available for you to use shoot them an email. More often then a domain thats parked like that is owned by some domain seller, parking it like that is just a way to tempt to offshoot the cost of the domain itself.

Other then that.. there is no way to keep a domain forever. Like someone else stated if your late with payment your domain could be as good as lost.. Although ICANN and Registrar Regulations don't permit instantaneous loss of the domain upon not paying.. There is usually a 2 week grace period where the domain is suspended, then after that add about another 3 weeks or so that you can still renew it with penalty fee's til they drop the domain all together and put it back in the pool for public use.. Grant it though those time frames differ some pending on the Registrar. But outside of that thats pretty much the cycle, unless the domain gets killed out of TOS agreements then its suspended for a day to 2 weeks and dropped back into the pool for public use.

Now, on an upbeat.. 1.. You can register a domain name for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, up to 10 years in advance, from the date you acquire it, but eventually one day you will have to pay the renewal..

If you cant get a hold of the owner of the domain you could always use a Backorder Option godaddy offers one.. where you pay the price of the domain plus extra fee for them to monitor the domain and the second it drops back into the public pool they will swipe it up, and register it for you, in your name. Mind you this isnt the most highly accredited way of getting a domain.. in some cases its just down right dirty, but it works. And in the case of the domain you wanna get thats like I said before a domain name seller, or a domain name harvester whos just sitting on it, or just scamming the registrar for the parked domain concept (but thats another story for another time).. Also mind you Backorder isn't 100%.. other companies have a similar system, and it just depends on the domains dropping back into the pool and who's refresh cycle hits it first.. Anyway that aside, I recommend hitting up the owner and trying to work out a deal first thats the sencable way of doing it I think

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.