php on sbs 2003 - test.php=404

before i start let me say i'm hopefully not a complete idiot as i have installed php before on an xp pro machine, no problem, the php install is about as easy as it gets

when i test with localhost/test.php i get the 404 error

this is the entry from the iis log

2008-02-06 01:38:04 W3SVC1 127.0.0.1 GET /test.php - 80 - 127.0.0.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+5.2;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.0.04506.30) 404 2 1260 1830 525

i used this installer: php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi, specified the iis isapi option

php is in both the web service extensions and application extensions, (i'm guessing the installer did that)

php is in the enviroment variables

i stopped and started the website

this is my php.test file: <?php phpinfo();?>

the website is working with html files

there must be something else for sbs2003 that needs to be done??

bob

Hi,

Go for premade software for devloping php applications.

Like wamp or xampp.

Both are very popular and one click install.

Anyway, if you got 404 error. First make sure that you have successfully test.php file saved.

Some time your text editor saved file with test.php.txt

but php cannot parse .php.txt file.

need .php file.

Hope this will help you,

Thanks,

Vishal

Hello,

I donot know why you get the 404 error message while accessing .php files.

But, few months ago i was installed php apache on my win machine. i had no problem.

Although, official php mailing list avaiable for help.But this http://www.phpfreaks.com/ is very popular forum about php.

404 error accured because, your server could not found the file.Why not go for apache. apache is very easy to install on any platform includeing win os.

or go for wamp or xampp.both softwares are very easy to install and easy to use.

If you want to check the file extension from command line in win os.

then go to start menu

then click on run

then type cmd or command

you see a black window and some text, then go to root folder by entering this cd\

run this command to list files "dir"

you see lots of files and folders with information.

Hope this will help to solve your problem, i think,

Thanks,

Vishal

thanks again for another follow up

there is no question that the file extension is .php i have been a programmer for many years and i do know what a file extension is, my problem is that no number of years of programming seem to help in a situation like this, where so much is going on under the hood with ms for this server

i suppose apache could be an option but not for this machine at this time

when i get a problem like this, where the software should be working, i don't think its a good solution to just go to something else, there is some problem and it needs to be found and fixed. until i hear some very definitive report that php just doesnt work on sbs2003 i will keep trying. even if i have to start again from the beginning

i appreciate yours and any suggestions, it is easy to overlook or miss even simple things

i'm currently going through this set of actions and will let you know how that progresses

http://www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html#IISConfigure

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.