[SOLVED] Duplicate entry??

yandoo

Hi there,

I have 3 tables each table has an auto incremet primary key! The 3rd of the 3 tables holds info which includes all 3 primary keys in a table

... Thats 1 auto increment primary key for that table and 2 other auto increment keys that are primary ones of there own table.

My problem is that when i try to insert any other record other than the 1st one ?? i get the eror message: Duplicate entry '2' for key 1...

Whats going on?????

Any help much appreciated

Assuming your third table takes the following form

<pre>

1, 1, 1

2, 2, 1

1, 2, 3

</pre>

And you want to represent all combinations of those possible numbers but never (for example, 1,1,1 & 1,1,1) a duplicate. You need to put the primary key index on that table to be a combination of those three fields.

Sounds like you're trying to represent a multi-to-multi relationship using an intermediate table. Thus really you table should have 2 columns, being fk1, and fk2, but the primary key for that table consists of both those foreign keys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.