[SOLVED] "Check username" button on Registration

timmy0320

I don't know if this can be done in PHP but I created a registration page for my site with everything done on it, even CAPTCHA. What I'd like to add a "check id" button before they register to see if their username is available. Just like how Yahoo has for registering for email. Basically I want to be able to check the username without actually typing in the whole process and clicking Sign up and having to go back. If it's a whole different language (which I am assuming it is), please direct me to some help to where it can be integrated with mySQL! Thanks.

Its not a whole different language, it just requires you to use some AJAX - which is javascript.

See www.ajaxfreaks.com for an introduction to it.

You may well find tutorials for the above on the internet, but it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the gist from one of the tutorials on the above site.

Awesome, thanks. I haven't coded in PHP or SQL in years and I just got back into the swing of things not too long ago. AJAX is quite new in my books. Never used it or heard of it until now. Found exactly what I was looking for right here. http://www.shawngo.com/gafyd/index.html . I will definitely be implementing this throughout the site, very neat stuff. Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.