How to logout when a tab in browser is closed?

Festy

Hello guys,

I'm working on a professional social networking community site and I want to achieve the following tasks in an efficient manner :

1. If a user is logged in, and he closes his tab in the browser and reopens it, he should be logged out when he types the url of the site.

2. If a user is logged in, and he closes his browser, he should be logged out when he types the url of the site.

I know second one is not a problem, but still I'd like to know how other advanced/expert php programmer do this. Can anyone help?

If there is a single tab, then you can use a solution like this

The above method is for making a popup on exit of a site, but the same principle can be used to log the user out on exit.  It's not 100% reliable, and will definitely fail if the user opens multiple tabs on your site.

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but if you look at all the major social networking sites, none of them log the user out on closing of a tab.  It's just not practical.  Instead they use user-configurable timeouts (or fixed timeouts), as well as the standard of having cookies expire when the browser closes.

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but if you look at all the major social networking sites, none of them log the user out on closing of a tab.  It's just not practical.  Instead they use user-configurable timeouts (or fixed timeouts), as well as the standard of having cookies expire when the browser closes.

I completely agree with you here. I myself don't see any sense in that. But my client wants me to do that and I don't have any idea why? but if it can be achieved somehow then it's ok otherwise I'll have to discuss this issue with him.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.