Is this possible?

glow

I was wondering if this is possible with either javascript or php or a combination of both.

Let me explain my setup first I have users that register to my web site through two subscription plans: Basic and Premium. Basic users are allowed to access basic membership folders only, while premium users are allowed access to all folders

right now I have it set up that both membership levels can view the folder structure but are password prompted  if they try to access the area

id like to make it so users are only able to physically view the folders that they can access by membership. in other words I just don't want their access blocked to folders that they are not allowed to, I also want those folders not to be visible.

the folder structure and content its set by an xml file and the user folder access permission is controlled by .htpass and .htaccess doc.

is this doable?

well he has the structures already in an xml content, so it can be done with just php alone, with extensions to read/parse the xml files.

a lot more work.

Easier as cooldude states, using MySQL to control the directory structure, with a flag which can be used, what's the lowest class that can access the node, or which class this node belongs to.

thanks for the quick answer guys.

cooldude832 the folders have images in them and they are are managed by xml and displayed in a flash gallery using php as server side.

the xml functionality is part of the gallery script i don't know if omitting it to replace with Mysql would cause problems or would the xml work along side mysql to do the job?

right now the gallery works with mysql but mysql just handles user registration.

Than ya want to keep the existing XML files.

How do u update the xml files? is this manual or do u have a system that keeps them updated.

if it's xml based, i take it theres more info than just the filename.

how are users authenticated, do u have a db?

or is it a generic password for all members in a group?

u will have to consider, the current methods of the system.

and how much ya willing to bend from those methods.

Yes I do update the xml file manually there is no auto system in place.

the XMl file has a very basic structure, it looks like this.

<key caption="RealEstate">
    <entry name="realestate1" added="07-07-2004" src="RealEstate" />
    <entry name="realestate2" added="07-07-2004" src="RealEstate" />
  </key>

and yes the users are each authenticated through db.

gathering from this information would you say that this would be very complicated to

achieve? or something that can maybe be achieved through .htaccess maybe?

keep the xml format for use by yer flash proggie

construct a php/mysql system, which can autoupdate the db

the creation of xml files is not hard to do for php. this can be done dynamicly (reading from the db)

or a more fluid way, when u make updates (say on an upload form) which updates the db and the xml file

it's not hard at all

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.