PHP and downloading files (tif, eps, psd)

RIRedinPA

I'm managing a bunch of sites for my publishing company where we archive our digital content (photos, illustrations, ads, etc.) One of the archives is for images that have appeared in one of our magazines. Since there's a lot of cross relationship and similarities between them some images can be picked up again for other stories. I want to allow the users to download the files and save them to their hard drive. I'm running into a problem with Firefox and Quicktime where they are displaying the files in the browser.

I know you can just right click on the link and save as to the wherever, or right click on the image once QT displays it and save or even use the save as under the file menu once QT displays it but these are users we're talking about and mine come in the same variety of lazy and uninformed flavors as everyone else. What I want is to provide two links, one to "download to the browser" the other to "download to computer". I've been doing some Googling and I am pretty sure PHP can help me out with this but I am just not sure what functions or class exists to do it.

Any ideas or suggestions? 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.