Newbie question: GET through URL

beachboy4231

I am a total newbie to PHP. I am trying to teach myself the software just because it's so awesome.

I've been going through the pages at W3 and creating my own "database application" on my server that really has no point except to be a training aid. Here is what I want to do.

I have my index.php file and a userlogin.php file. I want to be able to have a link to the userlogin.php file in the index.php file and when that link is clicked go to the url "mysite.com/index.php?page=login". That page would have all the normal content of my "index.php" with the login page included

I know I'm going to have to somehow use the GET variables, but how?

An example of what I'm talking about is here on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

One advice, if you want to improve your knowledge quickly, you should start using some existent script, firstly study it and afther modify it, that's better.

If you insist doing it that way here is something that should help

first

<?php 

if(isset($_GET['page']) == 'login')
{
   include('loginpage.php');
}

?>

Elpaisa, I will definitely try looking at some already written code.

In the mean time, here is what I tried:

<body>

<a href="/index.php?page=login">User Login</a>

<?php 

if(isset($_GET['page']) == 'login')
{
   include('userlogin.php');
}

?>

</body>

Unfortunately, when I tried clicking the link, my browser gave me a 404 error. "The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server." Any advice?

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.