Ordering

gple

I have a list of documents in which the name gets outputted onto a website. I created another column in the table to distinguish which order they should appear in. so I have 10 records and each of them has a different number next to it (1-10) and this will be the order that they appear in. How can I make sure that the user does not put the same number for two different records?

There should be a better way, but heres a soultion

<?php

$sql = "SELECT sort_number? FROM table_name";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
    if($user_input == $row[0])
    {
         // We found a matching sort number!!
         die('That sort number has been taking');
    }
}

?>

In theory should work.

There is no logical reason you can't allow 2 order numbers that are the same. I do it all the time. When you select the records from the DB with the sort, if they have the same number, then the older record will be first. Do you have a reason they can't use the same number?

Yeah, store the order identifiers in an array when you use the draggable list, make a form that send post data to PHP that will then update the database sort identifiers. I've created a draggable list before that changes the sort order of pages, I can show you if you like.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.