need help with special characters in an update statement

Deamoner

I am writing a script that takes a post, with information from a chat session. It will check if the chatlog is already in the database by checking the sessionid on the chatlog. If it is not there it creates it, but if it is there then it will use an update statement and this is where my problem comes into play, it is able to do an insert, but when I try to do the update, it is not working. It seems to hang on where I am updating the chalog, as that is where it says the error in my sql syntax is, below is the php of the sql statement, let me know what I am getting wrong.

$query2  = "UPDATE 'sessions' SET 'techid' ='".$TechID."', 'techname' = '".$TechName."', chatlog = chatlog.'$ChatLog', 'closingtime' = '".$ClosingTime."' WHERE 'id' ='".$row['id']."'";

I have tried it a number of ways and it seems to hang on the chatlog everytime. When I do the insert it looks like this

$query2  = "INSERT INTO sessions (SessionID,TechID,TechName,cname,cid,ChatLog,WaitTime,PickupTime,ClosingTime, billcode)

VALUES ('$SessionID', '$TechID', '$TechName', '$CField0', '$CField1', '$ChatLog', '$WaitingTime', '$PickupTime', '$ClosingTime', '$CField2')";

the insert works fine, but I need to have the previous stuff in the chatlog field still there in the database.

Let me know any thoughts you may have.

I tried using what you said. My new syntax is

$chatty = mysql_real_escape_string  ($chatty);

$Chatlog = mysql_real_escape_string  ($Chatlog);

$combined = mysql_real_escape_string  ($chatty.$Chatlog);

mail( "mdavis85@gmail.com", "Email Subject", "This is the combined ".$combined, "From: mdavis852@gmail.com" );

// this means that the session already exists in the table

$query2  = "UPDATE 'sessions' SET 'techid' ='".$TechID."', 'techname' = '".$TechName."', 'chatlog' = '".mysql_real_escape_string  ($combined)."', 'closingtime' = '".$ClosingTime."' WHERE 'id' ='".$row['id']."'";

I tried combining what, but it still gives the error below

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''sessions' SET 'techid' ='2107335', 'techname' = 'Matt Davis', 'chatlog' = '', '' at line 1

I just want it to go into the system and it seems like a special character in system is interrupting the update into the database. So what you said did not work, and p.s. the mysql update synxtax works when I do it with default values.  and when i try to print and email myself the values in $combined, it comes up with nothing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.