Help with Time Function

choskins102

Hello,

I need help with a little problem on my site.

Here's what I want to do. When a user on my site decides to join an activity, they have to register for that activity. Once they do, they will be added to a list of other people who have joined the same activity. However, I want there to be a required 8 hour waiting period from the time the person joins, to the time the person is official active.

Basically, there will be a table of all members of this activity that will look something like this:

Name        | E-mail                | Eligibility

-------------------------------------------

John Doe    | jdoe@email.com  | eligible_image.jpg

-------------------------------------------

John Doe 2 | jdoe2@email.com | ineligible_image.jpg

For the sake of argument, the two eligibility images would be a check mark for eligible, and an X mark for ineligible.

How do I get the server to recognize when 8 hours have passed and change the X mark to a check mark?

I am using PHP and MySQL on my site so the script should be able to fit with that.

Well, first thing that comes to my mind is have a column in your members table that represents the time they registered. And when the user tries to access the activity on your website, have it check that column.

If that column + 8 hrs is a time before the current time, let him through (maybe even have another column that respresents whether they are eligible or not, and have that updated when your app looks him up).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.