Forum

tecmeister

Hi everyone,

I would like to create a forum.

I have followed a few easy tutorials but the forums doesn't do anything like this one does.

On the forum i would like it to be able to have all of the features this forum has.

I would like someone to tell me where to start.

The the title of the forum is Parkour.

Thanks for your help.

tecmeister

That's an incredibly broad request. You can go one of two ways, one, hire a developer (head to the PHP Freelancing section), or, if you're intent on learning how to do a forum, you're going to have to get a -clear- picture of what features you want in your forum. And if you haven't done one before (or one as comprehensive as PHPfreak's), then this means research.

Stick around PHPFreaks and take note of what you'd like to have, and before you move on to the next feature, think of how you'd do it (independently of everything else). And think simple. Don't try to be fancy off the bat. Build simple and add later.

If you have trouble coming up with a really simple implementation of any of the features, than a forum may be out of your league at the moment.

Otherwise, lets list the basic features we want in any forum (just off the top of my head):

- User Login / Registration

- User-only Posting and Responding

- Listing of Topics and sub-topics

That's pretty simple to start off with, then you can add things as you'd like: User quoting, private messaging, a list of users who are online, etc.

Now, once you have broken up the project into pieces, if you have trouble there, then it'll be appropriate to ask for advice on how to do each part. A comprehensive forum is a large endeavor, so you'll need to narrow down your request before you can expect good help.

Or you could go with a free, premade solution (like PhpBB?)

I was able to create a forum for my charity using phpBB.  Go ahead and buy yourself a phpBB book, read it, and you will be able to create a forum with all the features like this one.  The forum theme may not be exactly the same but you should get most if not all the features this one has.  You will need to have some basic HTML & CSS in order to configure several things necessary for the forum to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.