validating form

cha0sriderx

Im trying to scan through a textarea to find invalid names and then remove them.  invalid names are ones that have any character that isnt a number, letter or space, but the space cant be at the beginning or end.

ex: player1,player2,player3 - valid

ex: player1, player2, player3 - should remove " player2" and " player2"

<script type="text/javascript">
  function testnames() {
    exp=/^[a-zA-Z0-9]+[a-zA-Z0-9\ ]+[a-zA-Z0-9]{1,}$/;
    box = document.forms.test.users.value;
    box2 = box.split("\,");
    for (i=0; box2[i].length > 0; i++) {
      x = exp.test(box2[i]);
      if (!x) {

}
    }
  }
</script>

Would you not want to trim the leading and trailing spaces off? Anyway, here is what you asked for:

<html>
<head>
  <script type="text/javascript">

function validate(inputStr) {

var inputAry = inputStr.split('\,');
  var outputAry = new Array();

validName = /^[a-z0-9]+[a-z0-9\ ]*[a-z0-9]+$/i

for(var i=0; i<inputAry.length; i++) {
    if (validName.test(inputAry[i])) {
      outputAry[outputAry.length] = inputAry[i];
    }
  }

var outputStr = outputAry.join(',');

return outputStr;

}

</script>
</head>

<body>

Input:<br>
<textarea id="input">player1, player2, player3,player4</textarea><br><br>

Input:<br>
<textarea id="output"></textarea><br><br>

<button onclick="document.getElementById('output').value=validate(document.getElementById('input').value);">Test</button>

</body>
</html>

I really like helping people out, but it irks me when someone gives requirements for a solution they need, then when provided a solution, they change the requirements. I don't meant to be a jerk, but it seems rude to me when someone does that. I'm sure that was not your intention, but it is always appreciated to get the full requirements up front instead of usign the forum for design.

validName = /^[a-z0-9]+([\ ]?[a-z0-9])*$/i

it wasnt my intentions to be a jerk about it, i was just asking how would i change just the exp to fit the new requirements.  i really do appreciate your help, i just figured it was easier to reply to this post instead of making a completely new one.

You were not being a jerk (and it was not my intention to be one either). I just wanted to emphasize that stating ALL of your requirements up front prevents a lot of rework and gets you a solution faster. It would ahve been just as much work for me to provide all of your requirements instead of having to go back and rework it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.