Iterating through a number

Cep

Hello,

I have a number 12345, which I want to iterate through to perform an action on each individual unit.

For example perform and action on 1, then perform an action on 2, then perform an action on 3 and so on.

I tried to use type juggling on the variable containing the value and curly braces at different positions like this (as it says is possible in the PHP manual),

<?php

$number = 12345;

$numlen = strlen($number);

for ($i = 0; $i <= $numlen; $i++) {
echo $number{$i}; // this should reference the position of the individual number
}
?>

However I am getting nothing returned.

Try this, also I'm not sure why you'd want to be echoing the number as well so you might want to remove that part.

<?php

$number = 12345;

echo "$number $i"; // this should reference the position of the individual number
}
?>

I don't think you understand what I was trying to do. The result I expect to see is 12345 and if I changed the line slightly to

echo $number{$i}."<br />";

I would expect to see,

You can't iterate through a number, there's no such thing.

You CAN iterate through a string...

e.g.

<?php
$number = (string)12345;

echo $number{$i}; // this should reference the position of the individual number
}
?>

Incidently enclosing variables inside double inverted commas (") in PHP causes the variable to be interpreted, whereas if you concatenated the variable to the " string it'll will do any array (which is essentially what the {} mean for a string) referencing that is needed.

Hence,

"$number{$i}" , to PHP means, i have a string, interpret variable $number, then interpret variable $i, $number = 12345, $i=0 (on 1st run), so it gives you 123450

On the other hand, if you did

$number{$i}."" , to PHP means, i have a variable to be concatenated, that variable is $number{$i} , I know i'm working with an string (as array) so i'll find that array value and concatenate it with the string.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.