Differences between PHP on Windows 2K3-IIS 6 and Linux-Apache

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am trying to move a server from a hosted site to an internal site.  The hosted site is a Debian Linux site with Apache 2.0, PHP 4 and PHP 5 (currently using PHP 4.4.7).  The new site is a Windows 2003 Server R2/SP2 with IIS-6.0, PHP 5 (although 4 works fine too on it).  I have followed the setup instructions from many different groups of folks but finally settled in on the configuration for windows posted by Peter Guy @ www.peterguy.com/php/install_IIS6.html.  After following his instructions I can use PHP including sessions.php and phpinfo.php (as described in his article).  There are a couple of PHP applications on the server that are working.  But, I am having a heck of a time with TrioSolutions rssReader.  I have been working with them for several days and they keep telling me that there is something wrong with the server. 

Since I don't know any better I am trying to figure out what maybe "misconfigured".  rssReader is an application that goes out to XML news feeds and pulls them into your site.  I cannot get it to work with several sites but others do work.  Now here is the thing, the currently hosted site is working without a hitch on the site we are trying to pull in (in this case news from CIO Magazine).  This site is using the exact same code, so what is the differences in supportability of Windows versus PHP on Linux.

I am not sure if I can post the PHPINFO results from both servers here.  But, I am hoping someone here would like the challenge and give me some advise or pointers to go and get this done.  The current hosted site is at www_xiologix_com the news readers as working are on the right bottom of the site.  The moved site currently at 96.225.237.9.  Both of the sites have a phpinfo.php and sessions.php that you can look at to see what the capabilities are of the server.  I can put the scripts and primary code out for others to see as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cause I cant do this for much longer - I've got no hair left.

Thank you,

JFGOOFY

If PHP is retrieving data from external sites using functions such as fopen/fread or file_get_contents then maybe a setting called allow_url_fopen is disabled and thus your third party PHP scripts you are using are failing to function. Try enabling display_errors and set error_reporting to E_ALL within the php.ini for your IIS setup.

PHP is cross platform compatible, there is no difference between PHP on Windows or Linux. The only thing that can cause trouble is PHP's configuration.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.