[2 PART] Defining a root dir & defining page

timmy0320

[PART 1]

Alright I have defined some constants for my root directory of files.

define("ROOT_DIR", "/new_work/");
define("ROOT_URL", "http://" . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']."".ROOT_DIR."");

This function works until I use it in a sub-directory. Now I figured out that I had to turn on allow_url_include on my php.ini settings. I did that and now works. (session.php includes constants.php which contains the above constants)

include("../session.php");
include("".ROOT_URL."templ/header.php");

Now I'm making my pages all on my computer and personally hosting them before I upload anything to my Webhost. I've read that a lot of web hosts (and Yes I do plan on contacting mine) have this option turned off . I am having trouble figuring out how to do this without linking it by URL . I can do just the ROOT_DIR but then my pages in the sub-directories link wrong. Sub-directories will then link as /dir/include when it's supposed to be just /include/ from the main directory. Any tips on a better way?

[PART 2]

I define all my pages at the top.

define('MYSITE', true);

All of my includes are as:

if (!defined('MYSITE')) { exit; }

All of my includes are including except my header and footer and they are all setup the same way and I am lost as to why it's doing this just for those two files. Could it be the order of my includes or what's the deal with this all of a sudden not working? It's only doing it in the sub-directory and the define() are at the TOP of the page before includes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.