Is PHP the right tool to replace MS Access?

glenn69

Hello,

I currently maintain a small business database in MS Access.

For many reasons I am trying to convert our entire network to Linux based machines.

I plan to replace the Access database with a MySQL database.

My question:

Is PHP the most appropriate tool to create an "Access-like" frontend for the new MySQL backend?

What are the pro's and con's?

I appreciate your input...sometimes the basic questions are the most difficult to locate answers to.

Thanks

Access and PHP are two completely different animals.

MySQL is a much more powerful backend database for your company than Access.

But that leaves you with the front-end.

CON: Input forms and reports are going to need rewriting from scratch and PHP isn't going to give you the same form and report creation tools.

PRO: Deployment across the company is going to be easier with an intranet based application. All each PC will need is a browser. Change the PHP script on the server and everyone receives the updated version. No need to re-install the front end mdb on everyone's PC.

As an intermediate step you could transfer the data to MySQL and have your frontend mdb files connect to that via ODBC

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.