PHP Newbie questions regarding functions usage

deepman007

Hi

Here's my situation, I have created a website using Xhtml & CSS, the problem is that the header, footer and other constant contents are re-loaded in very page that I have created and I think that will slow the loading speed of the pages. So, I decide to try php where you can re-use the header, footer in every page and  I don't have to go edit in every page. My question is which function in PHP should I use to re-use the header, footer , etc ?  Include, require, include-once, require once ?

My files are: header.php, footer.php, ...etc

In index.php

<?php include( "header.php") ?>

middle content

<?php include("footer.php") ?>

is set up correct?

Thanks

My philosophy on things since that unless you know for a fact that you will be including a file more than once, I always use the *_once functions. I also tend to use the require* functions since I want to see a fatal error if a file is missing since to date, all of my includes are "require"d.

Include will load the page even if the contents of the include are broken

Require will stop the page-load if the contents is broken and display an error

include-once don't seem necessary for what your trying to do nor require-once

your best bet would be include, and your setup looks appropriate for what your trying to do

include("header.php"); <~ You need the ;

Again, this is all preference and style decisions you have to make.

I like seperate CSS DIV IDs because for me it's easier to manipulate it exactly how I want it.

Sorry, I wasn't sure.

I have another question, As for the CSS file, do I have to break it to header css, footer css and middle css  or I can still use all as one css file ?

thank you for the answers.  What's the files directory should be? Should I put all the include files in a include folder or just put it all at the root folder? Cause for html files, I put all those pages in one folder with the exception of images and css.

That's your preference, but because of my computer organization OCD, I tend to make folders for includes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.