< Serious PHP Newb!

debaser

Hey guys and gals, I've just joined here today.  I eventually want to get into web-design and work for myself, however I have done nothing with php/mysql/html at all, apart from browsing code - code that I have no clue about lol  :-\

It seems very daunting, the amount of learning involved, but I dont mind I'm going to persevere with my learning, which leads me to my first question:

1.  What would you seasoned programmers suggest with regards to how best to build up your knowledge of php/mysql/html.  I've bought a book called PHP for Dummies and, I'm having HTML 4 for Dummies delivered also.  I think these will help me, but what can you guys suggest?

My second question is:

2.  Say I have, after sometime, become proficient enough with php/mysql/html to build nice looking websites.  Would this be enough knowledge to start my own small web design/development business and be able to work from home?

The only side of web design I'am quite good at is using photoshop.  I used to be a member on many gfx sites, and learned a lot using CS2.  I've just bought a copy of CS3, so I will be getting back into that side of design very soon. :D

LOL.  Here is a website I threw together last year out of boredom.  A friend of mine kindly allowed me to use some space on his web server for free, so theres no silly ad's messing up the pages.  The site was mainly an experiment to see what I could do with just Photoshop and Dreamweaver - I didnt do any coding by hand  :o though.  Also I must mention that this site is by no means a complete catalogue of my ability on Photoshop, but just a small snippet of what I started to do when I first found a love for designing web images.  C&C always welcome ;):

http://www.inacurate.com/ghostfac3/Index/Portfolio/SitePages/ < Enjoy lol.

Anyways, enough of my ranting.  I hope someone can help me out with my questions, it would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

PS - Great site btw.  Looks great

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.