very large page fails when user posts query

rbarnett

I have a problem with a very large php page that is 25 MB.  It's purpose is to do a select query of records from a PostgreSQL database. The page successfully loads in the browser but when users try to Post or submit, the page fails often with a white screen  or if they're lucky it will take 10 minutes to process.  But it usually results in a white screen.  There are 20,000 + items on the page so it is a big post..  We tried setting the memory_limit in the php.ini file as high as 80 MB from the default 8 MB but with no change.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Whatever your application is, it is not suitable for a web server/browser environment or any other user display. There is no need to output and then submit that amount of information at one time. It sounds like you need to filter and search for relevant information only instead of operating on everything even if it is not affected.

Best and most cost effective is to chop up the code and optimize the queries as the gurus have suggested.

However, if you insist you should look into other things outside of php such as:

Fine Tuning MySQL:

This is taken from http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/91034:

key_buffer = 48M
max_allowed_packet = 8M
table_cache = 128
sort_buffer_size = 48M
net_buffer_length = 8M
thread_cache_size = 4
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 4M

query_cache - this caches repeated SQL queries.

key_buffer - used for caching primary key indexes.

table_cache - tells mysql how many table files handles to keep open simultaneously.

thread_cache_size - this tells mysql to keep worker threads around which are expensive to start up, but cheap to maintain

sort_buffer_size - this value is used during queries to hold results in memory otherwise it creates temporary result tables on disk

net_buffer_length - should help on larger network based queries to improve throughput

MySQL Optimization- from dev.mysql

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimization.html

Server Optimization- from dev.mysql

If you're on a shared environment. Upgrade to a Managed or Dedicated server where you control or get to choose the hardware. Things to consider that will help with sql queries:

Disk seeks. It takes time for the disk to find a piece of data. With modern disks, the mean time for this is usually lower than 10ms, so we can in theory do about 100 seeks a second. This time improves slowly with new disks and is very hard to optimize for a single table. The way to optimize seek time is to distribute the data onto more than one disk.

Disk reading and writing. When the disk is at the correct position, we need to read the data. With modern disks, one disk delivers at least 10–20MB/s throughput. This is easier to optimize than seeks because you can read in parallel from multiple disks.

CPU cycles. When we have the data in main memory, we need to process it to get our result. Having small tables compared to the amount of memory is the most common limiting factor. But with small tables, speed is usually not the problem.

Memory bandwidth. When the CPU needs more data than can fit in the CPU cache, main memory bandwidth becomes a bottleneck. This is an uncommon bottleneck for most systems, but one to be aware of.

Best of luck and I hope some of the information was helpufl.

its all in the headers

you are making a .zip file and set headers to force download as a streamed content

So you do something like

<?php
#set headers
#start zip file
$q = "Select * from `table";
$r = mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error());
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($r)){
#Insert into files in zip
}
?>

Thanks for explaining that.  I understand but I'm not trying to download.  I'm trying to post the data to the server.  In my earlier post I was only saying that the size of the post is 25 MB (which I know to be true when I do a 'save as' and download the php file after the post has been submitted).  Usually though the post fails and I get a white screen.

I really appreciate your response though.  Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.