php running perl scripts

overlordofevil

I am just wondering if anyone has heard or tried to run perl scripts through a php page. http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1712

I have read a few articles on it and they all differ in what methods are needed to get it to work. I am unable to get it to work using the perl() function that is suppose to be part of php 5.

Just seeing if anyone has tried this and made it work or if you have an idea of where to look at more info on the process.

Thanks 

Ah...I see, you are trying to use this PECL extension: http://pecl.php.net/package/perl

Sorry, I'm not of much use there. Is there something specific you are trying to accomplish? It may turn out you don't need that extension at all.

p.s. - To my knowledge that is not a standard PHP extension, and you will have to manually enable it.

Thanks for the info I will read up on those functions.

Basically what I am doing is I have a member db written in perl and I need to update it and move it to a new server, etc.

Problem is the original programmer didn't leave notes on the code or a "map" of where he has the libraries hidden. I found a few virtual hosts that point to places off site but I don't have access to those files.

So instead of completly reprograming the entire db interface at this time, as it is failing and I need to fix it, I wanted to use the existing perl code and just change the front end to php to call the perl scripts and functions.

Then any updates I have to program can be done in php and it gives me time to update the existing perl code and change it over to php later on.

so if you have suggestions on how to make this easier I would appreciate it but otherwise I will look up the functions you guys mentioned. Thanks alot :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.