<head></head>

<body>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>">

<input type="text" name="name" />

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">

</form>

</body>

</html>

This form works fine.  Now, the problem is that the name attribute is not as simple as "name", a lot of times, it can be a string with spaces in between.  As such, when I try, say:

if (isset($_POST['diet coke'])) {

}

This code does not work because the name attribute "diet coke" contains a space between "diet" and "coke".  If in the form, I write: name="diet_coke", then $_POST['diet_coke'] should store the name value once the submit button is clicked.  Because of the fact that the name "diet coke" will appear on the menu, I don't want it appear as "diet_coke" with the underscore.  So, in the case that the name attribute is a space separated string, like "diet coke", how should I handle it so that $_POST['diet coke'] will contain the name value (once the submit button is clicked) ?  I have a long list of items and I cannot tell users to put a hyphen or an underscore in every space separated item.

I did try using a variable, say, $item = "diet coke" with the hope that $_POST[$item] will work but it didn't help.

Thanks guys!

I guess you would need to know that whatever is posting to this page is responsible for setting the value of $_POST['diet_coke']. Whether it is a form or a cURL script or an AJAX script, the code that posts to this page decides the value of $_POST['diet_coke].

<input type="text" name="diet_coke" value='diet coke' />

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.