how to navigate inside of an array

polemios

Hi all,

I would like to know how to move the pointer to a specific value in an array. I know how to use prev() and next() to navigate once I set the pointer, but don't know how to set the pointer.

Basically, I'm using readdir() to make an array out of a folder of images. That populates an index page with thumbnails. Each thumbnail is linked to a viewing page (view.php) that uses a get variable (the image's filename) to pull in the main image. Once I'm in the view page, I want to be able to use the get variable (the image filename) to search through the readdir() array, using in_array(), and set the pointer position. From that point I could use the prev() and next() function to populate variables for my "prev" and "next" links in my viewer.

I know this is trying to reinvent the wheel (i.e. gallery page), but I don't know how else to do it, without using session variables, which I'd prefer not to do.

-Thanks.

It just returns the pointers value. I read over the array functions and didn't see anything to be able to set the internal counter of an array to a specific value. I just saw reset, end, next, prev and so on. But you could do something like $key = array_search('value', $array) and then do echo $array[$key], but that may not be what you're looking for since you're using the internal pointers...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.