Dynamic IP loggin

EchoFool

I have a question about user's who have dynamic IPs.....i hear that over time they stop being assigned to a certain IP range of X amount of time, and so I though it might be not be logical to permanently store all their IP's and should remove certain IP's if they have not been used over a certain amount of time from the logs table.....

Does any one know if this information that I have been told is true? I don't know how dynamic IP works exactly. And also wondered if you know "how long" I should wait till i remove an IP that a user is assigned to, if this were true...

Hope you can help.

i would remove dynamic ip's daily, if this is a banning log then banning a dynamic ip may have undesired repurcussions as someone on the same isp can take over the ip address, therefor you will be banning the new user.

if this is solely for "logging" user activity, i would use cookies, ip addresses can be faked etc, and could be a router ip where multiple users are using your website.

ip logging in general is not reliable.

hope this helps,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.