Script showing, not HTML -- what do I do???

dfdesigns

???

I generally only do print design with very little html thrown in. I'm attempting to convert a client's monthly newsletter to html and cannot figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.

He's running PHP, so I basically asked him for the file for one of his other pages so that I didn't have to do too much coding. I copied and pasted, making only minor formatting changes (nothing more than linking graphics and bolding/italicizing, really). I renamed the file appropriately (keeping it a .php extension), asked him to reload it onto his server.

When you go to the page, all that comes up is the server-side coding.

If I put it into an HTML test page (I use a few different sites online to test my coding before sending back to clients), it comes out perfectly fine (minus links, of course). On his site, though, it's just the scripting garbage.

What am I doing wrong?

They're not the short <? tags but rather <?php. He makes minor changes on his existing pages and says he does nothing more than edit the text file, then reload it to the server. He's never had this problem before.

Can anyone help me?

Danielle

I initially gave him .html files because I didn't know he was doing .php. When they didn't work, I figured out that his other pages were PHP programmed, so converted all of my .htm files to .php.

When that didn't show up, I asked him for one of his other pages so that I could just copy and paste what I wanted to change. So I'm almost positive it's not the coding that's the problem...like I said, when I input the coding into an HTML test page (I use www.imagecave.com/html), it comes up perfectly fine.

Danielle

Okay, I'm already lost. So even taking the pages that he's already using on his site could simply be me working on, as you say, an "HTML page as content inside an HTML page?"

I'm lost.

I'm sorry, I hate to keep bothering you guys about this, I know how frustrating it is to deal with newbies. He had originally contracted with me for "HTML coding," which I don't have a problem with. This is a whole new ball of wax.

Is there an easy fix, or does it require a complete overhaul?

The 01.php page I just sent you to was my copy and paste into a page he'd already had posted successfully.

Can you take a look at this one:

http://www.socialnetworkaudit.com/currentissue.php

and tell me if it's the same problem? With this one, I used "View Source" from another page, then copied and pasted my stuff into it.

There's a reason I stay out of web design -- my training is in PRINT!!!

took ages for it to load for me. The site is setup correctly for php 'cos I checked the privacy page.

Then because i'm seeing strange chars I ran it through W3C Validation and this is what it said...

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 66  it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8  (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\x92" does not map to Unicode

So, there's your solution...

Basically the same:

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 193  it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8  (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\xA0" does not map to Unicode

here

Basically, Html tags are alwasy inside brackets (i.e. <html>).

Whatever you used to create the page has converted all '<' and '>' into the < and > (which are the html encoded versions so you can see the brackets displayed.

You can probably cut and paste what you see on the screen into notepad. Then save that as 01.php or whatever. That may work!

Wob.

Out of curiosity, can you do another page (or just use 01.php) with this is the contents:

Hello world!

Type it in, don't copy/paste it from here. I am curious to see if there is a background wrapper script running with that is modifying the output.

We actually tried the Hello World thing last night and it brought up all code.

But now I sit here stupid and sheepish because I believe I understand what I did.

And I'm a total nitwit.

I wasn't coding in plain text but rather in rich text format. So when I changed the extension to PHP, it brought over all the garbage with it.

I think I fixed it. I'm just waiting for him to update the page with the new file. If I continue to have problems, I'll try your suggestion and will get back to this forum.

You guys really are the best, thank you!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.