function help

tutorialstuff

I've written a function that creates uses an array over and over so if I want to use that same array in different context such as a list or for a drop down menu all I have to do is call the function and declare an open tag and closing tag, but sometimes I might want to use a value with that function that prints out the array name but I'm having a hard time figuring out how. Maybe somebody can help. You can see a live demo at: http://tutorialstuff.com/test/arrays.php and the code is below.

Thanks - Mike

<?php
function rooms($open, $close){
$rooms = array('Bedroom','Living/Family Room','Dinning Room','Kitchen','Utility Room','Garage');
$i = 0;
while($rooms[$i]){
print "$open$rooms[$i]$close";
$i++;
}
}
print rooms("<b>", "</b><br />\n");
?>
<form>
<select>
<?php
print rooms("<option value=\"$rooms[$i]\">", "</option>\n");
?>
</select>
</form>

For your first example you  are probably better off just using an implode.

<?php

$rooms = array('Bedroom','Living/Family Room','Dinning Room','Kitchen','Utility Room','Garage');

echo "<b>", implode("</b><br /><b>\n", $rooms), "</b><br />\n";

// or you could use print

print "<b>" . implode("</b><br /><b>\n", $rooms) . "</b><br />\n";

?>

If I am understanding the second one you are really just using the value twice.  First off increase the reuse of it pass in the array.  Then pass the wrapping text in as array pieces.  This will take an arbitrary number of values and insert it between each element of the wrapping pieces.  (This will work for the <b> example as well)

<?php

function wrapem($what, $enclosure) {

foreach ($what as $val) {

$final .= implode($val, $enclosure);

}

return $final;

}

?>

<form>

<select>

<?php

print wrapem($rooms, array('<option value="', '">', "</option>\n"));

?>

</select>

</form>

Lets try that again.....

For your first example you  are probably better off just using an implode.

<?php

echo "<b>", implode("</b><b>\n",  $rooms), "</b>\n";
// or you could use print
print "<b>" . implode("</b><b>\n",  $rooms) . "</b>\n";
?>

If I am understanding the second one you are really just using the value twice.  First off increase the reuse of it pass in the array.  Then pass the wrapping text in as array pieces.  This will take an arbitrary number of values and insert it between each element of the wrapping pieces.  (This will work for the example as well)

<?php

function wrapem($what, $enclosure) {
  foreach ($what as $val) {
    $final .= implode($val, $enclosure);
  }
  return $final;
}

?>

<form>
<select>
<?php
print wrapem($rooms, array('<option value="', '">', "</option>"));
?>
</select>
</form>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.