qmail and Bare LFs

Hello all,

I'm trying to send the results of a form processing operation through email. I'm doing this on a Windows machine with WAMP and using Mobile TCP as smtp forwarding mechanism to point to my ISP smtp server.

The finished message is formated as such:

$body = "Message received from the automated contact form at www.mzproperty.co.uk\n";
$body .= "DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE\n";
/*...*/
$body .= "-----------------------------\n";
$body .= "END OF MESSAGE\n";

On my web host this formatting works fine. It also follows what I am learning from the PHP manual. But when ran from my machine, it is refused by my ISP's MTA (qmail) with a "server response: 451" pointing me to the fact I'm using bare LFs on my message. When changing the LFs to CRLF the message gets successfully through.

So... this confused me.

What exactly is the right way to do it? qmail directs me to RFC 822 section 2.3 which is actually 3.2. It seems to be right; The PHP Manual instructs me in the use of LF, and my web host doesn't care as both forms get through.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.