Mail character stripping problem

monkeybidz

I am using a script that I made myself to sends an email when users ask a question or respond to one. It also inserts to Mysql OK. When the message includes a quote or double quote it inserts OK to database, but cuts the message off at first ' or " in email. I was just wondering if I should use:

strip_tags($_POST[newmessage])

or

strip_tags(Filter($_POST[newmessage]))

in the following code.

<?php

if($_POST['original_question'] =='yes' && $_POST['newmessage'] !="") {

$query = "SELECT email FROM PHPAUCTIONXL_users WHERE nick='$user_nick'";
$result =mysql_query($query) or die (mysql_error());
$record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
$email_connecta = $record['email'];

$today1 = date("F j, Y, g:i a");

mail ($email_connecta, 'Question About Your Job Listing', 
"USER: $_SESSION[phpAUCTION_LOGGED_IN_USERNAME] has posted a question for you about:

JOB: ".$_SESSION['CURRENTAUCTIONTITLE']."

POSTED DATE: ".$today1."

MESSAGE OR QUESTION: ".$_POST['newmessage']."

To respond to this message, please login to your account and go to the jobs page or if you are already logged-in, simply follow this link: http://www.mysite.com/auction/item.php?id=".$_SESSION["CURRENT_ITEM"],

'From: webmaster@mysite.com');
}
?>

if the message is sent to the email use

htmlspecialchars($_POST['newmessage']);

Which will convert " to &quote; which will still look like " in the email but won't break it in the html. That, or in the php code you use to write the message with the ' or " use \' or \" which should escape them.

Sam

if the message is sent to the email use

htmlspecialchars($_POST['newmessage']);

Which will convert " to &quote; which will still look like " in the email but won't break it in the html. That, or in the php code you use to write the message with the ' or " use \' or \" which should escape them.

Sam

This option did the job since the message may vary depending on the posters text. I had tried using it in php first, but when the poster sets the message, it may sometimes require special characters.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

No problem, glad I could help.

if the user posts "><marquee>, wherever that message is posted on the site would start scrolling accross the page because in the source it will be literally that "><marquee>.. so with htmlspecialchars it will convert it to the character codes so it will be "><marquee> which will show on the page as "><marquee> but will not have any adverse effect.

Sam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.