undefined variables - cant see why ?

pilot

These code lines are excerpts from within the program that give me an error message that a variable is undefined, but the program is working in that the functionality is correct, and the variable has been used in other parts of the program, usually by a function call, without getting an error message.  All of this useage is within the same file that is a group of functions.  I am a bit of a rookie for this, but I don't see why these are undefined.  Can someone see what I am missing or where to look for contributing issues ?  Thanks

Error message says that cat is undefined variable   

echo "  <form method=\"post\" action=\"$PHP_SELF?action=login&cat=$cat\">\n";

Error message says that email is undefined variable.

echo "      <td width=\"160\" height=\"25\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" value=\"$email\" size=\"20\" maxlength=\"50\"></td>\n";

Error message says that location is undefined variable.

$result = mysql_query( "SELECT cat_name, root_id, papa_id FROM category WHERE root_id=$id" ) or error( mysql_error() );

$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );

if( $row['papa_id'] == 0 ) $location .= $row['cat_name'];

Error message says that totalAds is undefined variable.

$result = mysql_query( "SELECT root_id FROM category WHERE papa_id=$id" ) or error( mysql_error() );

if( mysql_num_rows( $result ) == 0 )

$totalAds += mysql_num_rows( mysql_query( "SELECT cat_id FROM ads WHERE cat_id=$id AND exp_date>$time" ) );

Well i would suggest you avoid using html tags in echo statements it is much better to use them simply

just like

echo "      <td width=\"160\" height=\"25\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" value=\"$email\" size=\"20\" maxlength=\"50\"></td>\n";

would be much better if you use it

<td width="160" height="25"><input type="text" name="email" value=<?php echo $email; ?> size="20" maxlength="50"></td>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.