Installing PHP for dummies – yes that would be me, HELP

Ok I would like to know how to install PHP on a windows server. It seems I can get it to work but just by sheer luck. I have tried reading through the documentation but it seems so defragmented that I lose track being directed here an then there.

So firstly I go to php.net to download the files and I am then presented with a number of different ones

Windows Binaries

 PHP 5.2.5 zip package [9,713Kb] - 08 November 2007

md5: a1e31c0d872ab030a2256b1cd6d3b7d1

 PHP 5.2.5 installer [19,803Kb] - 15 November 2007

md5: f9396b654721d9a18c95ea6412c3d54e

Note: Updated due to problems with the original installer for this release.

 PECL 5.2.5 Win32 binaries [2,879Kb] - 08 November 2007

md5: a3553b61c9332d08a5044cf9bf89f2df

 PHP 5.2.5 Non-thread-safe Win32 binaries [9,619Kb] - 08 November 2007

md5: 41ef1582f43cfdb6e546a626b9ef93d6

 PECL 5.2.5 Non-thread-safe Win32 binaries [4,114Kb] - 08 November 2007

md5: 6e5ac694907b4aae080b2c9b6e83748a

Note: (Most of these PECL extension files come standard with the PHP 4 Windows binaries, but have since been moved into this separate PECL download. Files such as php_pdf.dll, php_ssh2.dll, etc.)

This one (PHP 5.2.5 installer) seems to be an installer version that has an executable file that seems to do it all. However when I install it and try and install SMF it tells me that php has not been configured in MySQL?

If I take this one (PHP 5.2.5 zip package) it unzips to be a complete folder with all its sub folders, now I cannot see any installer in this one? I try and read the installation file and it tell me about some installer that I cannot find or know what they are talking about.

So can one of you kind people please direct me in the right direction as to what files I need to download to be able to get a working php installation?

Well have you installed a server yet, such as Apache or IIS and have you configured the server for PHP support (The installer should configure the server for you upon installation, if the server was installed before PHP).

However when I install it and try and install SMF it tells me that php has not been configured in MySQL?

You most probably havn't enabled the mysql extension and thus SMF reports back the error. To enable the mysql extension open the php.ini and find(or add the following line)

;extension=php_mysql.dll

Remove the ; at the start of the line and save the php.ini. restart your webserver and retry SMF installation. Make sure MySQL is installed too before tying to install SMF. MySQL does not come with PHP.

Sorry I should have given more information on this post. I started a topic earlier on but I thought maybe it was not going in the right direction as I was getting little response on it. This is why I started this one just on the php side of it. I actually got the whole thing running and had just completed the entire configuration with the forum structure and everything was working 100%, after a huge struggle to get there.

Of course I had a HD crash (go figure) so I started from scratch. I have the entire folders backed up but now I just cannot get it to work again and getting stuck at this point. Maybe if you have a look at the other topic here it may give you more info as to where I am right now.

It just seems that with teh php I am not getting a good clean install like I am going wrong someplace.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,185496.msg830552.html#msg830552

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.