Need best practice: searching through car options

mikethecoder

So here is my problem...

I work at a company helping do automotive/vehicle websites... a particular dealer wants to build a new search page that will search through vehicle options and equipment. The options are actually sent to us each night in a data feed and imported into the database. The database basically has an OPTIONS table... the fields are basically just "option" and "vin"... so an example of the db would be:

VIN              |  OPTION

-----------------------------

72838723HHD  | Cd changer 6disc

72838723HHD  | halogen headlights

72838723HHD  | Car bra included

11111929J323  | 4 disc cd changer

The problem is that we don't control the option data since it is sent to us from another company. A cd player could be listed in 100 different ways across the vehicles of a particular dealer. They want a search page where we would list things like "CD Player" and a checkbox to search for cars with that option. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to do this or if they have done anything similar. I am guessing for the checkbox values I would just have general keywords and use a lot of SQL LIKE commands... maybe if they check cd player it would add to the SQL "where option like '%cd%' and option like '%cd player%'" or something like that. They also want to have a page where it shows all the options and in parenthesis show how many matching cars for each option. Just wanted some thoughts from experience here.

Thanks everyone!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.