help with error code?

polarbear

hi could really do with some help

I'm currently editing my site, to do that i need to edit the head.php, head.php. mhead.php and mfoot.php files

When i open up the head.php using notepad. i have this code:

<title><? echo("$title"); ?></title>

this is from the head.php file and i'm guessing it's telling the site to display the relevant page name, such as home, terms, signup  page, therefore i leave this alone?

further down the page but still within the </head> area, i have this code:

<? echo("<script language=\"JavaScript\">\n<!--\n\ndefaultStatus = '$title';\n\nfunction movein(which,html){\nwhich.style.background='white'\n}\nfunction moveout(which){\nwhich.style.background='#EEEEEE'\n}\n\n// -->\n</script>"); ?>

When viewed in iexplorer i get  \n\n"); ?> showing on the page as well as the sites contents and menu. like it's excess code. is there anything missing? and what purpose does this have. i see refernce to background, my background will be changed to a black,  however i will be adding an image which will need to appear on all the non member pages

Outside the </head> area i get the following code

<a href="<? echo("$site_url/privacy.php"); if ($rid) {echo("?rid=$rid"); }?>">Privacy</a>

i know this is part of the links on and for the home page, with this link in the non preview view everything seems in order, however when viewed though iexplorer  "> shows next to the link which i can tell is the "> by the }?>">Privacy</a>. is it safe just to delete the "> part?

i haven't altered/uploaded any files to overwrite the originals,

hopefully you guys can make sense of what i've typed, and thank you in advance for reading this post and taking the time to replay.

thanks

Polar

For a start echo isn't a function, so there's no need to add brackets.

The "> showing up is because (I think) you're using " inside other " and it's thinking you've just ended the attribute, so use '.

For the first question, I have no idea why that would be showing :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.