building exchange system - need help building worker drone!!!

protech_systems

Hello all, I am building an money exchange system as a project...basically like Paypal, but it will be different in many ways. The important part right now is getting a viable solution for tracking and updating account balances and handling transactions. It will run on a clustered MySQL or PostgreSQL database, and one of my Java programming buddies suggested that I create "robots/drones" ie multiple instances of a single handler script to update the database. My question is how should I approach adding and subtracing from account balances? I am trained as a database admin, so have that side down pretty well, but I need some suggestions on how to make the script perform this function. Any ideas, musings, etc are welcome and appreciated.

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.