weird login/pw reset issues

aebstract

I got a script that resets every user's password in a db. In my db I have a plants table, and each plant has several users, which I have a users table for. Now everything seems to work. If I run my reset script, it creates a new pw for every user.. here is the weird part. I'm trying to log in to a plant that has two users, I can login as one but not the other. Returns a false password (no results returned from db). Now if I get the md5 of something random, like let's say "pencil" and insert it manually in to my db as the user that I couldn't log in as.. it then lets me with that new password. However, I can no longer log in as the first user that was working..?

reset:

<?php

include "connect/todb.php";

function makePass () {
    $length = 6;
    $password = "";
    $possible = "0123456789bcdfghjkmnpqrstvwxyz";
    for($i = 0;$i < $length;$i++)
      $password .= substr($possible, mt_rand(0, strlen($possible)-1), 1);
    return $password;
  }

$color1 = "#dddddd";
      $color2 = "#c0c0c0";
   	  $row_count = 0;

echo "<table bgcolor=\"#000000\" cellpadding=\"5\" cellspacing=\"1\">";
  $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM plants ORDER BY plantloc ASC") or DIE(mysql_error());
  while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result)){

$id=$r["id"];
    $plantloc=$r["plantloc"];

$results = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE plant = '$id'") or DIE(mysql_error());
while($s=mysql_fetch_array($results)){

$user_id=$s["user_id"];
  $plant=$s["plant"];
  $email=$s["email"];

$password = makePass();
    $password2 = md5($password);

mysql_query("UPDATE users SET password='$password2' WHERE plant=$id LIMIT 1") or DIE(mysql_error());

$row_color = ($row_count % 2) ? $color1 : $color2;

echo "<tr height=20><td bgcolor=\"$row_color\">$plantloc</td><td bgcolor=\"$row_color\">$password</td><td bgcolor=\"$row_color\">$email</td></tr>";

$row_count++;

}

}
  echo "</table>";
?>

login:

<?php
if(isset($_SESSION["id"]))
{
  header("Location: /accounthome/");
  exit();
}

include "connect/todb.php";

if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{
  if(empty($_POST['password']))
  {
    $error .= 'You must fill in a password <br />';
  }
  if(!strlen($error))
  {
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE `plant` = '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['dropdown'])."' AND `password` = '".md5($_POST['password'])."'")
      or die("Query error: ".mysql_error());
    if(mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
    {
      $error .= "The pasword you entered did not match the plant location you chose.";
    }
    else
    {
      $worked = mysql_fetch_array($result);
      $_SESSION["id"] = $worked['plant'];

header("Location: /accounthome/");
      exit;
    }
  }
}

$content .= '<center><table><tr><td><form action="/login/" method="post">Location: </td><td><select name="dropdown">';
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `plants` ORDER BY `plantloc` ASC") or DIE(mysql_error());
while($r = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
  $id = $r['id'];
  $plantloc = $r['plantloc'];
  $content .= "<option value=\"{$id}\">{$plantloc}</option>\n";
}
$content .= '</select></td></tr><tr><td>
Password:
</td><td>
<input type="password" name="password" size="6" />
</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="login" />
</td></tr></table></center></form>';
?>

You probably can't start a new query (your update) while fetching. You have to read it first into an array and then foreach it. Another thing: Why do you mix PHP and HTML like this and don't break with its tags? Columns also should be written into backticks ` in queries. The location header is also incorrect: an absolute url is needed!

PS: Sorry about the bad english  ::)

Okay I did a few tests and looked at what was being set as passwords to make sure everything was working right. It seems that if we have:

PLANT A

user 1 - pass1

user 2 - pass2

pass1 will work for user 2 and pass2 doesn't work at all. This is as far as what is displayed out as results. If I knew what it was encrypting to, then it wouldn't be a problem (so its no the login). Whenever there is more than one user for a plant, it does something odd with the displaying what it sets?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.