mp3 Music Uploads

CSmith1128

Hello.. I have a site where I want to allow users to upload music files that they have so other users can listen to them on my site.

I was wondering if there is any way to compress the files to save space?

I want the user to upload their file and I'll have it run through a script or something to compress it before it is actually saved on the server.

I am making a flash media player that the users will use to play the music, but I am just worried about the amount of space on the server, upload times, and streaming times and I'm sure compressed files will help.

Is it possible?

Also, would it be best to store the files in the database, or would it be better to store them in a folder with details in a database that points to its location?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.