MySQL Optimization

AdamCox9

What are the best methods to optimize my MySQL to handle a lot of hits?

I was discussing my issues here with somebody: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,186392.0.html in the PHP help section, but this might be the appropriate place to get started.

I was thinking about trying to set up the Master/Slave and using a couple of servers, but I'm not sure if I have the time for that. I may be wrong though. How complicated is it to set up Master/Slaves and/or use more than one server.

Does anybody know any good places to get started on optimizing my system? I have about 20K-30K hits a day to the DB and about 2/3 of them are inserts/updates and 1/3 are read onlys.

Also, could someone give me an estimate on how long it would take to learn & to setup all of this. I'm very familiar with the basics for SQL & DB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about trying to set up the Master/Slave and using a couple of servers, but I'm not sure if I have the time for that. I may be wrong though. How complicated is it to set up Master/Slaves and/or use more than one server.

It is very easy to setup but your application must aware on which server to run INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE etc. queries and where should go SELECT statements. Or you can use MySQL Proxy if it is hard for your application.

Does anybody know any good places to get started on optimizing my system? I have about 20K-30K hits a day to the DB and about 2/3 of them are inserts/updates and 1/3 are read onlys.

I am not use in this scenario replication will help you or not. Did you try some caching techniques with your application and MySQL query optimization (inclduing proper indexing)?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.