Best platform for user auth/subscriptions/paypal?

Haloscope

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to PHP/MySQL, but have managed to cobble together my own website.  I'd like to migrate my website to a platform that (hopefully natively) supports a user registration/authentication and paypal subscription for public/subscription content.  Its a website that performs many calculations relating to california workers compensation, permanent disability, temporary disability, life pensions, etc.

Is there a platform that would best serve my needs?

Thank you for your input,

- H

Do you mean have a script which will allow people to sign up for an account for your web site that is subscription  based?  I made one like that before for a sports stat site, worked pretty well.

Well, yeah, I guess so.  :) 

My site has several uninteresting/uninteractive pages - links, downloads, etc.  The only really interesting/interactive page has several AJAX/PHP/MySQL calculators I built. 

I would like my site to require a user/pass, allow people a way to register for a free account, allow people to upgrade to a subscription account in which they would get additional functionality.  Ideally, it would work with paypal becuase people are comfortable with it. 

One friend suggested WordPress (easy to install and get running).  However WP has proved to be somewhat clunky for my purposes.  I was also looking at Drupal, Joomla, and Ruby on Rails.

Suggestions and comments greatly appreciated,

- H

Like I said before.  I don't use the other type of software, I just build the software myself which allows me to custimize everything.  As far as using open source software, becides Fedora to run my web server, that about covers it.  For what I see, your best bet is Joomla.  Didn't dig too deep into it, but I believe that is your best bet.  Again though, never really used any of those before.

Sorry, wish I could be more help.

Actually, that was a big help.  The current site is a system I wrote from scratch on PHP - specifically because it allows me to customize everything.  However, I'd rather not have to reinvent the wheel with a user auth and paypal scheme.  I know a lot of work has been done to create a secure system.

Thanks again,

- H

Like I said before.  I don't use the other type of software, I just build the software myself which allows me to custimize everything.  As far as using open source software, becides Fedora to run my web server, that about covers it.  For what I see, your best bet is Joomla.  Didn't dig too deep into it, but I believe that is your best bet.  Again though, never really used any of those before.

Sorry, wish I could be more help.

After tinkering with WordPress, I think this will work.  Built in user auth/registration looks good.  The big issue is payments.  ;)  I can't seem to find a WordPress plugin that does what I need.  Automatically renewing monthly payments that are keyed to a user's ability to access certain content.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

- H

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.