how to use indexOf

optikalefx

So i found a way using keycodes to detect when the user types .com  but is there a way that when it detects .com to search backwards till it gets to a space and forwards till it gets to a space?

for example if you type  www.helloworld.com/boots.htm it would store into a string "www.helloworld.com/boots.htm"  So is there way to index back till it hits a space and then forward till it hits a space?

i appreciate the advice, i was looking for something more advance, i guess i should have said that.

I got it working. I add the event Listener to the document for keyUp.  (ff only).  And i take in event e as always.  I check to see if you hit space or enter, if so, reset the sentence back to blank.  elsewise check to see if you hit period because the charcode returns 2/4 instead of .  elsewise use String.fromCharCode to convert the unicode to the letter.  Now that returns all caps. so we send it to lowercase letters to be better readable.  We then dump to the js console to see what we get.

the only problem is the uppercase lowecase part.  if anyone can find a solution, id love it.  I cant seem to find a way to figure out what case the letter was when the user hit it.

document.addEventListener('keyup',detectWord,true);
function detectWord(e) {
   if(e.keyCode == 32 || e.keyCode == 13) {
      sentence = "";
   } else if(e.keyCode == 190) {
      sentence += "."
   } else {
      sentence += String.fromCharCode(e.keyCode);
   }
   sentence = sentence.toLowerCase();
      //dump(sentence+"\n");
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.