Redirecting multiple domains / 123-Reg / Webfusion

Masca

Hi!  Please help!  I apologise if I am posting this question in the wrong place.

I recently fell for a 'Someone is trying to register some domains which are very similar to yours...' scam - stupid I know :-(.  However, I didn't register the threatened domains with the scammer, but with 123-Reg, so at least the scammer made no money out of me!

I now wish to redirect the new domains (there are 8 of them, all very similar to my main domain) to my main domain but it would seem that this is not as simple as I hoped it might be.  I have done a lot of research, and from a SEO point of view, it would seem that a 301 redirect is the only way to go (anyone disagree?).  The problem is that 123-Reg do not support 301 redirects (their redirects are 302's).  123-Reg have suggested that I change the nameservers to point to someone who does support 301 redirects.  I am a newbie when it comes to domain configuration and I am not at all sure whether this is the right solution to the problem, how to go about doing it, or which new nameservers to use - can anyone offer any advice, please?  My main domain is hosted with Webfusion (linux, php, mysql), if this makes any difference.

The other options, as far as I see it, are:

1 - To ignore the new domains completely, which seems a shame since I have now paid for them!  If I do this, is there any way this could affect the search engine ranking of my main domain?

2 - To move the domains to someone who supports 301 redirect within their control panel.  Can anyone recommend a domain host that allows this?

Or, perhaps there is another solution that I am not seeing?

Thank you!  Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Why not just redirect with meta tag?

phpnoobie9 thank you for your reply.  It is my understanding that you cannot do a 301 redirect via a meta tag, and therefore this option is not good for SEO.  If I am wrong, please do let me know.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.