cannot insert data in mysql table

nevsi79

Hi guys,

I'm a student and very new to PHP, hence you might find my question stupid, but I cannot see the problem.

My query is as follows:

$add_claim_details_sql = "INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('$your_ref_no')";

when I echo it, I get:

INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('1')

//1 is what I've put in the form

so far so good, but when I go to mysql table and check if 1 exists under the ins_ref_no, there's nothing there, there's no entry in the table at all, even no id. I've set my id as primary key, auto_increment???

Earlier I was inserting the following:

$add_claim_details_sql = "INSERT INTO claim_details (date_added, date_modified, ins_ref_no) VALUES (now(), now(), '$your_ref_no')";

and when I looked in my claim_details mysql table, the date_added and the date_modified columns were filled with the appropriate date, time

really puzzled ???

can anyone help please? :'(

There are several things that could go wrong.

I would start by editing that line of code to look like this:

$sql_query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('$your_ref_no')") or die(mysql_error());

This will print out some error information provided by mysql. See what that tells you. If you get something like "no table exists" or something of the sort, then try putting tick marks (`table_name`) around the table name.

There are several things that could go wrong.

I would start by editing that line of code to look like this:

$sql_query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO claim_details (ins_ref_no) VALUES ('$your_ref_no')") or die(mysql_error());

This will print out some error information provided by mysql. See what that tells you. If you get something like "no table exists" or something of the sort, then try putting tick marks (`table_name`) around the table name.

Dear turtleman8605, dear eddierosenthal,

You are so right, I  changed it and it works, MANY THANKS :)

I'm so happy because I just registered in this forum and now I see I can actually get help from clever people like you!

Otherwise I felt so helpless

Thank you!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.