Log-in pages, PHP, MySQL

ian89

Hi. I'm fairly new with PHP, MySQL, and Apache, and I have this project that I'm currently at lost for.

I have to make a log-in page that would redirect different users to their respective folders in an FTP site, and I've made the database already. How do I continue? If anyone could help me with PHP coding, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance. :D

P.S. Is there a way that I can do it this way: users would register with an admin-given password, and their respective folder in the FTP would automatically be generated. The FTP I'm referring to is something very private and the admin wouldn't wan't anybody to have access on by just simply registering, that's why he has decided on giving the passwords himself to the people he knows personally. I hope this isn't too much. Thanks again.

Have you looked into using an FTP server such as ProFTPD, which allows you to use a MySQL backend to authenticate users, rather than going the PHP route?

A databasing language can not "authenticate users" you can only be authenticated via having an approved token of some sort like a session or cookie to the server that gives your machine the authentication needed.

This will help you

http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php

A databasing language can not "authenticate users" you can only be authenticated via having an approved token of some sort like a session or cookie to the server that gives your machine the authentication needed.

This will help you

http://us.php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php

I wasn't saying that the database language is used to authenticate the user, but that the FTP server uses the database as a backend in its authentication.

I understand that I need to use PHP or something similar in order to authenticate users by basing on the database. But the FTP I'm referring to is remote, maintained by some hosting service. All I need is some sort of way that would redirect users to their specific folder in the FTP when they log in via a website. Thanks again.

odds are you can't very easily make new remote ftp users for that distance server simply because your access to it is limited.  You can probably however write a cURL version that uses your hosting c-panel to manage the user system but that is at the least a small atomic bomb of a mess

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.