Forums

Daney11

Hey guys,

This is going to be a long one.

I have created my own simple forum for my website. http://one.team-who.co.uk/forums.php

I have 3 tables for the forums.

forums

-forum_id

-forum_name

-forum_type

-forum_heading

forum_topics

-forum_topic_id

-forum_topic_forumid

-forum_topic_date

-forum_topic_memberid

-forum_topic_name

-forum_topic_body

forum_posts

-forum_post_id

-forum_post_forumid

-forum_post_date

-forum_post_topicid

-forum_post_memberid

-forum_post_body

Now if you see my forums, http://one.team-who.co.uk/forum.php?forum_id=1, i need to code it so that the Last Post date is the highest, and currently it is now. For example

Last Post - would be wrong

2008-03-17 20:00:00

2008-03-17 21:00:00

Last Post - would be correct

2008-03-17 21:00:00

2008-03-17 20:00:00

So obviously i need to JOIN the tables but im not really sure how. At the moment i have

$forumTopicQuery = "SELECT * FROM forum_topics WHERE  forum_topic_forumid = $forum_id AND forum_topic_id = $forum_topic_id LIMIT 1";
$forumTopicresult = mysql_query($forumTopicQuery, $connect) or die(mysql_error());

AND

$forumPostsQuery = "SELECT * FROM forum_posts WHERE  forum_post_topicid = $forum_topic_id ORDER BY forum_post_date ASC";
$forumPostsresult = mysql_query($forumPostsQuery, $connect) or die(mysql_error());

So now the forum_posts ORDER by date DESC. But i need it so the LAST POST entered in ANY topic is at the top of my forum list.

I hope this makes sense to people.

Any help would be great

Thanks a lot

But I think your looking for something like this.

$forumTopicQuery = "SELECT * FROM forum_topics, forum_posts WHERE forum_topics.forum_topic_id = forum_posts.forum_post_topicid and forum_topics.forum_topic_forumid = $forum_id AND forum_topics.forum_topic_id = $forum_topic_id ORDER BY forum_posts.forum_post_date ASC LIMIT 1";

I get

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY forum_posts.forum_post_date DESC' at line 1

$ForumTopicQuery = "SELECT * FROM forum_topics, forum_posts WHERE forum_topics.forum_topic_teamid = $team_url AND forum_topics.forum_topic_id = forum_posts.forum_post_topicid AND forum_topics.forum_topic_forumid = $forum_id AND forum_topics.forum_topic_id = $forum_topic_id ORDER BY forum_posts.forum_post_date DESC";

forum_topics

-forum_topic_id

-forum_topic_forumid

-forum_topic_date

-forum_topic_memberid

-forum_topic_name

-forum_topic_body

-forum_topic_lastpost

Then what you'd do is UPDATE forum_topics SET forum_topic_lastpost = $date(ofnewpost)

Along the right lines?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.