order by question with time

mikefrederick

i have a field in a table that contains times of the day in the format 11:00 am, 10:20 pm, etc. If I order by that field, then the pm dates will still come up before the am ones. For example, since 10:20 is less than 11 it will come before 11, but I need it to come after since it is actually later in the day. Is there anyway to do this without breaking the am/pm part into another field?

That seems like something impossible to do in SQL, but I'm not sure.

It's a good idea to store data in ways that a computer can work with better. I think you should store it as 24-hour time, or even as a number representing the number of seconds past midnight. Then when displaying it on the screen, you can format better it for a human to read.

sounds like a string field. if you are storing time, either use the sql time field or store it as an int using the unix timestamp. I always use the unix timestamp( time() ) then format it in php after( date("date string",time() ).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.