unterminated string constant error only with IE

virtual_odin

Try as I might to track down this error, I cannot.  I get no errors in Firefox, no errors in Firefox emulating IE, no errors in Netscape or Opera but in IE7.0.5730.11 a horrid little debug box appears when I Load the page.  The site is http://www.garfagnana-food.com/.  Worse, IE seems incapable of giving me more information about the nature of the error.  The line number it points to doesn't seem to exist in any of the files I have looked at!  Your assistance, as ever, would be much appreciated.

I think your problem lies here:

<td valign=top width='215' bgcolor='#FFFFFF'><a style='color: #FF9900; font-weight: bold; font-family: arial narrow;' href='reviews.php?user=71' onmouseover="javascript:preview('USER COMMENTS','Click this link to see all the comments made by Bargadining');" onmouseout="javascript:imout();">Bargadining</a> <span style='font-family: arial narrow;'> on </span><b><a href="javascript:void(0);" onmouseover="javascript:preview('Hotel Il Casone, Localita Casone Di Profecchia','You will eat well refreshed by the clear mountain air.');" onmouseout="javascript:imout();">Hotel Il Cas</a></b><br><span style='font-size: smaller'>We drove up through the snow on December 22nd for a fantastic lunch. The skiing had not begun s <a href='javascript:void(0)' onmouseover="javascript:preview('Hotel Il Casone','We drove up through the snow on December 22nd for a fantastic lunch. The skiing had not begun so il Casone was not as busy as it gets, but it was still set for about 200! The meal was, as always spectacular. Fantastic antipasto of fresh prosciutto, polenta fritta, ragu and porcini. Followed by varieties of fresh home made pastas. There were 4 of us so we just got a selection of everything. It was of course too much to eat. Main courses of cinghiale (wild boar), maiale and garfagnana sausage were all excellent. Coffee by the big log fire.

Be sure to book at weekends as it can get very busy!<br><br><b><i>Bargadining</i></b>');"

You have used the enter key after the words "cofee by the big log fire", which is making javascript think that this is the end of the current command. Since there is no quotation mark on the end of that line, your 'string' (text) is 'unterminated'.

If you want to have separate lines in that passage, you need to use backslash + n, like this:

\n

This is the 'new line operator' and it will create a new line in the output.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.