php4 vs php5 differences

jimath

hello everyone!

i d like to buy a php book but it is refered to php4.

i have installed php 5 in my computer.

are there many diferences between these two editions?

do you think that i will have problems with the php examples of the book running them in php5?

Thank you!

The end of life of php4 has already gone past. Except for security patches, no new versions of php4 will be released. Don't waste any money on a php4 only book.

As to the question asked in your title, there are sections in the php manual that contain information on migrating between php4 and php5 and lists the backwardly incompatible changes - http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php

Thank you very much for your info!

my problem is that i cannot find a book satisfying my demands.

i liked this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-PHP-Programming-Programmer/dp/1861002963

but it is outdated.

Basically i d like a book not introductory but intermediate and having code examples with icons and case studies.

could you suggest me anything?

Thanks!

The best way of finding the correct book which will interest you is to go down to your nearest library/book store and have a look. This is what I used to do when I was starting out in PHP and wanting to find books which taught PHP at more intermediate level rather than a beginner level. You should look at the books with titles like Professional PHP5 these types of books will teach the more advanced sides of PHP such as OO concepts.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.