Help with Prepared Statements

consultant1027

I'm converting a site to use prepared statements.  I want to use MySQLi instead of PDO (read this if you want to know why: http://dealnews.com/developers/php-mysql.html )

Can someone provide an example of a simply query that first binds a couple parameters than loops through the results with WHILE statement.  I've figured everything out except I don't want to have to explicity bind all the results values to variables!  I just want to loop throug the results set as rows of associative arrays.  Having to bind all the results values would be a major PAIN! 

How do you just loop throught the results as associative arrays without having to bind the results when using prepared statements?

example of MySQL usage (from the manual)

<?php

$conn = mysql_connect("localhost", "mysql_user", "mysql_password");

if (!$conn) {
    echo "Unable to connect to DB: " . mysql_error();
    exit;
}

if (!mysql_select_db("mydbname")) {
    echo "Unable to select mydbname: " . mysql_error();
    exit;
}

$sql = "SELECT id as userid, fullname, userstatus 
        FROM   sometable
        WHERE  userstatus = 1";

$result = mysql_query($sql);

if (!$result) {
    echo "Could not successfully run query ($sql) from DB: " . mysql_error();
    exit;
}

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0) {
    echo "No rows found, nothing to print so am exiting";
    exit;
}

// While a row of data exists, put that row in $row as an associative array
// Note: If you're expecting just one row, no need to use a loop
// Note: If you put extract($row); inside the following loop, you'll
//       then create $userid, $fullname, and $userstatus
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
    echo $row["userid"];
    echo $row["fullname"];
    echo $row["userstatus"];
}

mysql_free_result($result);

?>

That example isn't using prepared statements.  Looks like I stumbled across a major short coming of prepared statements - looks like there is no method of returning results in an associative array without wirting your own function/class to do it.  Read the comments from this manual page.  You've got to be kidding me with prepared statements there's no $stmt->fetch_assoc() or $stmt->bind_assoc($some_array) function?!?!

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mysqli-stmt-fetch.php

You know, I'm thinking now, if the main reason I'm doing this is for security (protection against SQL injection), if I have to have a line of code that binds all the variables to the parameters in the SQL prepared statement anyway,  why not save the hassle and just write a simple function that I can pass one or more variables to which returns their values sanitized by mysql_real_escape_string (and also escapes % which mysql_real_escape_string doesn't).  Then I could leave all the rest of my code as-is and not convert to prepared statements.  I'm I going to get some other MAJOR benefits going with prepared statements, other than performance in the context of executing SQL statements in loops with changing parameters?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.