Always an error when it comes to email addresses...

maxudaskin

Basically, I made a script in 30 minutes, corrected the syntax errors in about 2, but now I am stuck on the MySQL error I got...

<?php
function subscribe (){
   if($_GET['do'] == "unsubscribe"){
      if(!empty($_GET['id'])){
     $email    = $_GET['email'];
     $query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM dnh_subscribers WHERE email = '$email'") or die("MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());
	 if(mysql_num_rows($query) != 0){
	    mysql_query("DELETE FROM dnh_subscribers WHERE email = '$email'") or die("MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());
		echo "Your email, " . $email . ",has been removed from the list.";
	 }else{
	    echo "I am sorry, I cannot remove you from the subscriber list because either you have specified the wrong email or your email has already been removed.";
	 }
  }else{
     echo "We cannot unsubscribe you as you have not supplied an email.";
  }
   }else{
      if(!empty($_POST['email'])){
         $email = $_POST['email'];
     if(!filter_var($email, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)){
            echo "ERROR: You did not input a correct email. The email must be formatted like this: someemail@hosturl.com";
         }else{
        $query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM dnh_subscribers WHERE email = '$email'");
        if(mysql_num_rows($query) == 0){
		   $datetime = gmdate("Y/m/d H:i:s");
		   $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
           mysql_query("INSERT INTO dnh_subscribers ('email','datetime','ip') VALUES ('$email','$datetime','$ip')") or die("MySQL Error: " . mysql_error()); // Error Here
               echo "Thank you for subscribing. When another person is added to the DNH list, you will automatically be notified.";
	    }else{
	       $result = mysql_fetch_array($query);
	       echo "Your email is already on the list, would you like to unsubscribe? ";
		   echo "<a href=\"index.php?do=unsubscribe&email=" . $result['email'] . "\">Yes</a> <a href=\"index.php\">No</a>";
	    }
         }
      }else{
         echo "<form action=\"" . $PHP_SELF . "\" method=\"post\">";
         echo "<label>";
         echo "<input name=\"email\" type=\"text\" id=\"email\">";
         echo "</label>";
         echo "<label>";
         echo "<input type=\"submit\" name=\"Submit\" value=\"Subscribe to Updates\">";
         echo "</label>";
         echo "<span class=\"style1\">Your email will never be given to 3rd parties.</span>";
         echo "</form>";
      }
   }
}
?>

This function is called on another page (irrelevant).

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''email','datetime','ip') VALUES ('emailaddress@email.com','2008/03/26 20:54:07','' at line 1

upl9872840689.jpg

The error is with Inserting... Two reasons how I know, only one Insert, two, the INSERT INTO is the only one with the email, datetime, and ip...

I know where the error is, but without seeing what comes before it in the query its difficult to interpert the mysql_error

mysql_error is designed to be used when you are looking at the query with it

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.