setting default value for a from text box

jjmusicpro

setting default value for a from text box

so i created a form with username firstname lastname and description.

I wanted the description field to be filled with a default value of "worker", but if they type over that, i wanted it to enter that value into db.

i just didnt know if the value="worker" will almost make the desciprtion box worker.

If your setting a default value for a specific set of data (one the user cannot customise) you really want to use a drop down menu instead.

If your users can customise the data in the field then you would only need to check for a blank or null value and then use an if statement like this,

<?php

if ($_POST['myvalue']==="") {
$myvalue = "worker";
}

?>

Of course you would have first validated the post variable before reaching this point.

yeah not text areas, these will be text box's.

by default i want the text box to say "worker" but also give them an option to type in whatever over that..

but i dont want it to pass the default text "worker"  if its been typed over.

I think if i used "value=worker" for a text box, regardless of what they put in, it will always be worker.

Incorrect. Value will be ignored if the user typed in something different. This is really on the browser side of things though... so if it's not working for you, try using a standardized browser like FireFox, Opera, or even IE7.

Ah no, as discomatt says if another value is written into the textbox the default will be ignored so you can safely use the attribute value="worker" for a default value.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.